- Death metal evolved from thrash metal and also took some of the extreme elements of black metal
- The fast tempos of thrash were kept, but blast beats were added to make it even more brutal.
- The aggressive vocals of thrash became the screaming unintelligible "cookie monster" vocals of death metal.
- Death metal is intense and fast, usually utilizing a double bass drum and dual distorted guitars.
Vocal StyleThe vocals are what make death metal distinctive.
- death metal vocalists use a low-pitched guttural growl that is nearly impossible to understand.
- The lyrical content is almost always dark and/or apocalyptic.